Jabari Perryman: Senior memory

Jabari Perryman

My fondest memory at Carroll is not a single memory. It is the collection of good and bad times that has made my high school experience truly the most memorable years of my life. You know the saying, you don’t know what you have until it’s gone? Well, that’s exactly how I feel right now after having the precious last few months of not just high school but my childhood taken away by a pandemic.

My four years at the wonderful institution Archbishop John Carroll started as it does for most freshmen. I entered a new and exciting yet scary place that I’d be spending the next four years of my life at. 

People say high school is everything that you make it and they couldn’t be more correct. The amount of memories I have from playing soccer, rowing crew and running track with my classmates have made friends that will last a lifetime. Off the various sports fields and in the classroom, it is safe to say that I’ve had the best laughs of my life in school. 

Everyone enjoys the happy moments and memories of high school, but unfortunately they are not the memories you will first recall. It’s the worst days of high school that you remember. It’s the absolute heartbreaking tragedies that you remember. Nobody wants to recall bad memories but I am grateful. Some of my worst days of high school are where I really got closest to my class. It’s the worst days where my class no longer was my class and was now my family. 

Finally I understand. I understand why people look back on high school with such fondness and love. I am grateful that now I, too, can do the same.