Assistant principal Kaitlyn Buchanan explains hybrid learning choice

Caleb Carter, Staff writer

Starting three weeks ago, Archbishop Carroll, along with the rest of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia high schools, implemented a new way for students to go to school. Students are now physically attending school two to three days a week and on the other days, they are learning virtually in their homes. 

Assistant Principal Kaitlyn Buchanan said this schedule was chosen because “the hybrid option allows us to have our students physically in the building while ensuring that we can keep safety procedures in place.” 

She said that this procedure works best because “with roughly half our students in at a time, it is much easier to socially distance and ensure that everyone is safe throughout the school day. The schedule that was selected was vetted and ultimately chosen because it would give our students the best possible experience while maintaining high expectations for their academics.”

Mrs. Buchanan offered a positive reaction to the hybrid scheduling. 

“Just like with anything in life, it takes a couple tries to figure out how to do something really well,” Buchanan said. “We are working out the problems as they come and definitely starting to see consistency with the hybrid schedule. The students seem to be having a positive experience and we are adjusting to our new normal here at Carroll.”

Some students enjoy this schedule because of the flexibility it gives them. Archbishop Carroll senior Carleigh Conners said she enjoys everything about the hybrid schedule.

Conners said she loves the schedule because “it gives me more time to focus on classes and really take my time with everything going on.” She also said because she has one day in school and then one day at home, she has a chance to “catch up” with herself and “overcome all the transitions and changes this year.”

On the other hand, some students said they dislike hybrid scheduling. Carroll junior Mia Bones said it’s hard to learn on her virtual days because the teachers have to pay attention to the students in front of them while those on Zoom also need them.  The teachers “just simply have so much to handle with students in class and on a computer screen,” Bones said.

Another student at Archbishop Carroll, senior Carly McHugh, said she “hates this schedule,” in part because of the decreased engagement between teachers and their students who are learning remotely. In addition, McHugh said, technology can be glitchy.

“Many students have connection issues,” McHugh said.