College visits go virtual

Sasha Lockett, Staff writer

In previous years, representatives from different colleges and universities have come to Archbishop Carroll to conduct college visits. Because of COVID-19, college visits this year are being held virtually via Zoom.

Just like previous years, students can sign up for college visits through their Naviance account. Prior to the visit, Marguerite DiMattia, the director of guidance and CarrollU, will email students the Zoom link. Students will then have to register and enter information about when they will be attending college and what major they are interested in. 

“I went to some of the college visits and it was really easy to sign up and there we a lot of options,” said Anna Winslow, junior.

The college visits usually last 20 to 30 minutes. If students are in class or lunch during the college visit, they can get permission from a teacher or administrator to go to the gudance office and join the Zoom meeting there. Students are also allowed to ask questions.

“When I went to the Drexel visit it was straightforward and I got all of my questions answered,” said Elyse Terzian, junior.

Even though college visits are different this year, the virtual visits provide students with updated information. Many schools have changed to SAT-optional and have changed in terms of housing, sports, and application fees. It is good for students to attend the visits to learn about these changes. 

“I’m happy that I went to the visit because I got to learn that Rutgers is SAT optional this year and I don’t know if I’ll be able to take the test this year,” said Alexis Ferris, senior.

If students missed a college visit for a school that they are interested in, they still have a chance to meet with an admissions director. If a student goes to the website of the school that they are interested in, they can set up a Zoom meeting with someone from their admissions department.

“I missed my college visit for Temple because I had a test but I was still able to reschedule it for the next day,” said Anyae Hall, junior.

Even though college visits aren’t the same as they were before, virtual college visits are still informational and allow students access to important information about what college they decide they want to attend.