The Carroll Times

The Student News Site of Archbishop John Carroll High School

The Carroll Times

The Carroll Times

Senior goodbye: Gavin Wray

LifeTouch

Dear Carroll friends,

As I sit here and write this reflecting on my time here at Archbishop Carroll, I feel nothing but gratitude for all I have gained during my short amount of time here. I transferred here for my senior year, which isn’t something most people would do. From the moment I got here and went to my first football practice, I knew Carroll was a special place. Before the school year even started, I had felt a different sense of closeness within the community here at Carroll. I want to thank the many people who brought me in with open arms from day one and always made me feel nothing but welcome. My time at Carroll was quick, but it made a huge impact on me. I came in excited to learn more about faith. I have learned so much and I could not be more grateful for what I have learned from my many great teachers. I would have never thought I would have met so many amazing people in such a short time here, but I was quickly proved wrong. I am grateful for all the friends and relationships Carroll has brought me. 

Secondly, my time here at Carroll has made me mature in the best ways possible. I knew it would not be easy transferring my senior year, but I embraced it. I have a whole new perspective on everything now and it has truly made me a better person. I am grateful for all the underclassmen I got to meet this year. I hope I was able to make an impact and be a good role model for them as they grow into where I am today. I am grateful for all the teachers and coaches I got to meet throughout my time here. I have been greatly impacted by my baseball coach, Coach Grosse, who has grown me into a better person and player overnight. 

Lastly, my advice to underclassmen is to always be kind to one another, as you don’t know what kind of day someone is having or what they are going through. Your words mean more than you think. Do not take your time here for granted as high school flies by. Stay present in the moment and know God has a plan for the rest. I would also like to encourage everyone to go on Kairos. It was one of the best experiences of my life and I am very grateful Carroll gave me this great experience. I also would advise everyone to get involved with as much as you can and create as many relationships as you can. You will get out of high school what you put into it. Schoolwork is very important, so be proactive. Go to sports games and all school events.

My time at Carroll has come to an end.  I am sad to leave, but very happy and filled with gratitude that I was lucky enough to be a patriot. I met lots of people and made a ton of memories. I want to thank you, God, for bringing me here.

Sincerely,

Gavin Wray