Michael Young

Class of 2021 senior goodbye

Michael+Young

While reflecting on my time at Archbishop Carroll, I think of many fond memories in all four academic years. Before beginning high school, I was nervous and had no idea what to expect. However, from the very first week of my freshman year, I felt welcomed, excited, and optimistic about the upcoming years of high school. Each year of high school was unique in its own way, and certain, vivid memories remind me of each of these four years.

First of all, when I think of freshman year, I think of meeting new friends and teachers who helped to shape me into the person that I am today. I think of the freshman orientation day, which marked my first experience at Carroll, paved the way for friendships, and welcomed me into the community. Next, I happily recall lunches during 6th period with friends, some of which are my best friends to this day. I think back to my first involvement with the golf team and the tennis team. Practicing and traveling to play in different matches with my teammates was always enjoyable. My freshman year at Carroll was certainly filled with the most excitement and adventure as I transitioned into high school life.

Second, my sophomore year marks the beginning of my regular involvement with the student council. I loved attending the meetings and helping out with school events with both classmates my age and upperclassmen who acted as excellent role models. As expected, I met many amazing new teachers and became friends with classmates who I did not know the previous year. I think back to the classes that I had with many of my close friends, and how my interest in different subjects grew. Toward the end of the year, the student council was in charge of helping to run the senior field day. This day was one of my favorite experiences on the student council, where we were able to help to make this exciting end-of-year celebration possible. During my sophomore year, I expanded my comfort zone and learned how important it was to get involved with the Carroll community.

Next, junior year was challenging academically, but we were given more freedom to choose the classes that were interesting to us. My favorite memory by far of my third year of high school was being a leader for a sophomore retreat called Accompania. I, along with 5 other classmates, helped to plan this retreat that was organized by Carroll for the first time. I had no idea what to expect from this retreat beforehand, but I enjoyed every second of it. The purpose of this retreat was to bring about unity and stronger friendships for the sophomore class, and I remember the joy that we felt seeing this unfold in front of our very eyes. Shortly after, COVID-19 dramatically changed our lives, but provided us with completely new and unique memories as we attended school from our homes. Junior year required all of us to be flexible in many different ways, but prepared us for the road ahead.

Lastly, my senior year has been filled with many unique memories, especially with a hybrid class schedule. This has been a truly exciting year as we enjoy the final milestones in our time at Carroll. The highlight of my senior year has been attending Kairos. For three days of this retreat, my classmates and I were able to get to know each other better and spend time with God. Kairos improved my spiritual life and helped me to see more clearly God’s love for each and every one of us. Senior year was much different than my past years at Carroll, but provided me with many memories that marked my final time at Carroll.

In conclusion, all of the events mentioned above are only a small fraction of the experiences at Carroll that I hold close to my heart. It’s the simple experiences that sometimes stick with me the most, like watching a football game on a cool fall night or rushing outside after school on a bright spring afternoon. The past four years of school have flown by at an unfathomable pace. As a freshman, I thought that senior year was so far away and that it would feel like an eternity before we would begin preparing for graduation. Little did I know, one day I would fall asleep and wake up wondering how the time flew past us.