Carroll takes part in National Hispanic Heritage Month

Samantha Rock, Staff writer

Hispanic Heritage Month, which started September 15th, is important because it is a way “to honor and celebrate the many contributions of the people and cultures of the Spanish speaking world and the impact … they have on the world,” said Archbishop Carroll Spanish teacher Mrs. Audrey Bourgeois. 

Hispanic Heritage Month is observed from September 15 through October 15 every year. This month celebrates the contributions of people with heritage from Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Central and South America. This celebration started as a week-long festivity under President Johnson in 1968 and was extended to a month by President Reagan in 1988 according to the National Hispanic Heritage Month website. 

To celebrate Hispanic Heritage month in school, Mrs. Bourgeois’ Spanish classes are doing a Music Mania Bracket in which they talk about two different Spanish-speaking countries. After that, they watch a music video from each country and vote on their favorite. At the end of Hispanic Heritage month, they will crown a winner, said Mrs. Bourgeois.

Additionally, Mrs. Bourgeois’ Spanish classes will be doing Hispanic Heritage Month-themed projects. One of the projects is a short presentation on the biography of a famous person with Hispanic heritage. Another of the projects is doing a presentation on a famous event or celebration that is important to Hispanic culture, such as quinceañeras, said Mrs. Bourgeois. A quinceañera is a party held for a Hispanic girl for her 15th birthday to honor her coming of age.

Hispanic students appreciate the extra attention given to their culture this month, according to Mrs. Bourgeois. She said that she hopes that all students that enter Archbishop Carroll and her classroom feel important. 

“It is crucial to appreciate the cultures of each student,” said Mrs. Bourgeois.

Junior Kate Swayze said that she liked how the morning prayer is said in Spanish because she can observe how other cultures practice religion.

Hispanic Heritage Month also allows students to engage in other people’s heritage and connect their cultures, said Swayze.

Swayze said how she has learned a lot about the Hispanic culture through her Spanish classes freshman and sophomore years. Mrs. Bourgeois did a good job of showcasing other cultures and relating them back to American culture, said Swayze.

Junior Casandra Pendleton, who is Hispanic, said the celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month made her feel content.

“I am content because it recognized a lot of independence that took place in Hispanic countries,” she said.

Pendleton also said the celebration makes her feel included.

Hispanic Heritage Month means “that the state where my family is from in Mexico (Puebla) gained their independence,” said Pendleton.