Valentine’s Day: Underrated or Most Hated?

Lucia Kamanousa, Staff writer

With Valentine’s Day nearing, candy grams and heart-shaped cards are spread around like wildfire. However, Archbishop Carroll students may not be in the lovey-dovey mood this year.

When February rolls around the corner, high schoolers usually become frantic to find a valentine to avoid the embarrassment of being alone. However, some Carroll students don’t seem to mind the concept of being single during this time of year. 

For example, one senior spoke about her Valentine’s day experiences before being in a relationship. 

“I don’t mind Valentine’s day,” said senior Laura Wallon. “I have especially more appreciation for it now that I’m in a relationship but when I wasn’t in one, it was still a fun holiday to celebrate with my platonic relationships.”

Another student expanded on the idea that Valentine’s day doesn’t need to strictly revolve around couples.

“I don’t think Valentine’s Day is overrated but I do think people conceptualize it as loving your significant other and that only,” said junior Alexxa Hepburn-Rose. “Valentine’s Day is to love and appreciate the people that surround you and help you in your steps of life.”

While some students appreciate the holiday for its diversity in celebrating all kinds of relationships, junior Rebecca Wallgren spoke about her perspective of the holiday.

“I don’t think it’s [Valentine’s Day] overrated,” said Wallgren. “I think couples can get at least one day a year to express their love and appreciation for each other without it being a whole thing. The people who think it’s [Valentine’s Day] overrated are probably single.”

Although many students can acknowledge the good that Valentine’s Day represents, other students feel like the holiday has become overrated. For example, junior Caroline Pascual spoke about how she feels the holiday is unnecessary. 

“Yes, I think it [Valentine’s Day] is overrated because why should there just be one day to proclaim your love for someone,” said Pascual. “Every day should be the day to show someone you truly have feelings for them.”

Another junior spoke about how she feels the holiday has lost its true meaning throughout the years.

“I think it’s [Valentine’s Day] become overrated because now it’s about exchanging candy rather than appreciating each other,” said Lydia Stong. “I like the original concept of Valentine’s Day but I guess that idea has been lost in time.”

While freshman Shannon McGee can appreciate some aspects of the holiday, she overall feels it has become a ploy for businesses to make more money towards the end of the holiday season.

“I feel like it [Valentine’s Day] is overrated because it’s just a way for businesses to sell us more candy and stuff two months after Christmas,” said McGee. “However, I can say that giving each other valentines is kinda cute.”

With some students being able to appreciate the love surrounding Valentine’s Day and others detesting what it has become, it appears Carroll students are split.