Senior goodbye: Emma DiMascio

Emma DiMascio

Dear Archbishop Carroll school as a whole, 

In 2018, when I was an eighth-grader, I was faced with the decision as to where I would like to continue my education and attend high school. Evidently, the decision resulted in my enrollment at Archbishop John Carroll High School. To be transparent, I was not overly excited about starting there in the fall of 2018, considering the most influential factor for my entry was the fact that my oldest brother and sister were students at Carroll. Rather, I was stuck on the idea of attending an all-girls private school that was favored by most at my grade school. However, as I look back on my last four years of high school, I am forever grateful for my experience at Carroll and those who have made a lasting impact on my life. Needless to say, Carroll was the best decision!

My senior year especially has been a remarkable year for me so far. This year has been full of countless memorable events such as prom, my last homecoming, sporting affairs, Kairos, and more. The reality of leaving this place started to come to light the night of prom. To be specific, I was dancing with my friends and looking around at all the smiling faces, only to realize that this would be our final hurrah before my class and I part our ways. Despite this, I am eager for the several things in the coming weeks, including Patriot Week, field day, and Baccalaureate Mass. It is crazy to think the day I long awaited and dreamt about is just around the corner. However, nowadays, I wish to press the rewind button instead of the fast forward. The thought of graduating and leaving behind my friends is a devastating idea, but I am excited to see what the future holds for the Class of 2022. 

During my time in high school, I have achieved a lot of personal growth over the years and I have Carroll to thank. When I first walked through those Carroll doors, I was a shy, self-conscious girl, afraid of putting myself out there. Moreover, I was a people-pleaser, basing my value on the validation of others. But now, I can confidently say I am leaving Carroll with a sense of knowingness and personal acceptance. The Patriot community encourages you to find what brings you joy and to never be fearful of embracing it. It is a place where you can be friends with all different and unique individuals. I am proud to have been a part of this community. Lastly, I want to thank my parents, teachers, and friends for your guidance and support over the past four years.

Best, 

Emma DiMascio