College acceptance letters delivered to Class of 2023

Julia Craskey, Staff writer

As 2022 comes to its end, the seniors at Carroll are starting to receive news on where 2023 will take them. The Class of 2023 has worked extremely hard to get to where they are, and it shows through the amazing schools accepting them for college. 

More than 70 percent of students at Carroll planning on attending college have already applied and are now just waiting to hear back on their status, according to Ms. Marguerite DiMattia, director of guidance. Many students have been applying to prestigious schools such as Villanova, University of Pennsylvania, Notre Dame, Bucknell, Vanderbilt and New York University. Around 85 percent of students at Carroll will be attending a four-year college next year.

Some schools that Carroll students commonly apply to include Philadelphia region options, such as Saint Joseph’s, Drexel, Temple, West Chester and Villanova. Other Carroll seniors who are looking to leave Pennsylvania for college have been applying to lots of schools down south, such as University of Tampa and University of Tennessee.

Ms. DiMattia expressed how extremely proud Carroll is to have nearly 20 seniors who have committed to play a sport in college, and a majority have already signed their National Letter of Intent. Some of these students include Taylor Wilson, who will be attending West Point to play basketball, and Machaela Henry, who is going to Xavier University in Cincinnati for lacrosse. 

Carroll’s Class of 2023 has earned more than $1 million in scholarship so far, DiMattia said.

With all this news about the Class of 2023’s future, it should be a reminder for the juniors that they will be in this position next year. All juniors should try their best to continue to focus on maintaining good grades, because transcripts are extremely important to the application process. Naviance is also a great tool to help students determine what they want to study and where. Ms. DiMattia encourages all students to take their survey’s if they are unsure of what they want to do. Finally, she encouraged all juniors to start getting onto college campuses.