Carroll sends juniors off campus this year for annual retreat

Julia Craskey, Staff writer

Archbishop Carroll’s juniors went to Saint Charles Borromeo Seminary in Wynnewood on Thursday for their first off-campus retreat in years.

All four classes are required to make a retreat during each school year.

“Being able to go off campus for our retreat just added more excitement to it, especially since I had never been there before,” said junior Peyton Nord, “It was a really cool experience!”

The juniors had a day full of spiritual growth and class bonding. The retreat started with talks from seminarians currently studying at Saint Charles. Other speakers included Sister Laura Downing from Immaculata University and Father David Friel, the director of the Vocation Office for Diocesan Priesthood. The main focus of the talks were on prayer, and how students can communicate with God. After the seminarians finished their talks, they led a guided meditation and prayer time. 

“I really enjoyed listening to the ideas the seminarians gave us on prayer,” said Joy Waldmann. “They really put a lot of effort into this retreat for us, and it was an extremely nice day for all of us.” 

The retreat also included Mass in the beautiful Saint Martin of Tours Chapel said by Father Friel. 

The second half of the retreat included time for class bonding, as the students were allowed to go outside and play games. After that, they were split up between boys and girls and heard about the universal call to holiness. At the conclusion of the retreat, a video was played about a very inspiring priest in the Archdiocese. 

“This retreat had me engaged, especially when Sister Laura spoke to us,” said junior Mia DeVuono. “She really just understood how to speak to us and what we needed to hear. Before she spoke to us, I kind of assumed that all sisters were very strict, but she showed me they are fun and can actually have a social life.”