The Class of 2024 is on the way to senior status

Julia Craskey, Staff writer

Archbishop Carroll’s Class of 2024 is nearing the end of its junior year and its members have begun the move toward becoming seniors next fall. 

At the conclusion of the third quarter, juniors picked their final roster of classes that they will take at Carroll, and had their ring Mass. The ring Mass is a special tradition in which students receive class rings that campus minister Father Mark Cavara blesses. The Saturday after the ring Mass, the juniors had their junior prom. 

“Ring Mass was such a special night for our whole class,” said junior Peyton Nord. “It was so exciting to get my class ring with all my friends!”

As the fourth quarter began, juniors had their senior portraits taken, and reality of becoming seniors soon is sinking in. 

“It’s crazy how fast time has gone,” said junior Mia DeVuono, “I still feel like a freshman, and I’m about to be a senior.”

Juniors have a lot still to do before they are able to transition into seniors. Hopefully they will be able to transition smoothly. 

“I am very excited and proud of the class of 2024, and cannot wait to see them grow into the leaders of the school as seniors,” said Mr. Christopher Fryberger, assistant principal for student life. “It was great to see the [change] from sophomore to junior year, and I hope to see that continue even more next year.”

As juniors look forward to their senior year, they have to start making decisions about what they are going to do after graduation. Some juniors have already taken big steps toward their life beyond high school. Many students have already taken their SAT or are registered to take it. Some have visited colleges or trade schools. Some have begun thinking about college majors. Other students have decided to commit to play a sport in college.  

The guidance office plays a big role in the college admissions process, and is always there for support or to simply answer questions. The guidance counselors also are there to help juniors who are struggling during arguably the most difficult year of high school, especially during the fourth quarter. 

“We are here as a scaffold, for you,” said Mr. Fran Lynam, a guidance counselor. “We provide you with support to climb the ladder of escalating the college process. We start by reminding you that you should be requesting recommendations from two teachers, preferably in the areas of English and math, and science if that’s what you will be pursuing, before the end of the year.”