Carroll cross country medals in Pennsylvania District 12 Championship

The Archbishop Carroll cross country team came home from the Pennsylvania District 12 Championship held at Belmont Plateau on Oct. 26 with two medals.

Four girls and four boys from Carroll’s cross country team competed in the AA division of the district championships with many achieving personal record times.

Freshman William Wood placed 24th in his race and first among the Carroll boys with a time of 19 minutes and 56 seconds, earning him a medal. Freshman Colin Loughlin placed 38th and second among the Carroll boys with a time of 21 minutes and 34 seconds. Freshman Owen Gallagher came in third among the Carroll boys and 68th in the race at 24 minutes and 21 seconds. Sophomore Joseph Lazzari placed 70th and fourth in Carroll with a time of 24 minutes and 38 seconds.

Sophomore Grace O’Grady placed 21st and first among the Carroll girls with a time of 25 minutes and 49 seconds, earning her a medal. Freshman Alexandria O’Connor placed 28th and second among the Carroll girls with a time of 27 minutes and 26 seconds. Junior Faith Siorek placed 35th and third among the Carroll girls with a time of 28 minutes and 29 seconds. Freshman Samantha Kernag placed 37th and fourth among the Carroll girls.

The team had a lot of fun even though it was very hot.

“It was so freaking hot and I was sweating my butt off,” said Kernag.

The team members said they were very happy for each other, and that they were grateful for their coach, Robert Edwards.

“It was good and fun, and I’m proud of everyone,” said Gallagher. “Coach is very inspiring.”

It was a great day for the team and the coach and all the supporters who came to cheer the team on. 

“I had lots of fun, and wish I could do it every year,” said Wood.