Low first semester grades? Turn to NHS tutors for help

Pinterest

Students who are not satisfied with their first semester grades can turn to the National Honor
Society’s tutoring services to help improve their grades.

The end of the first semester was Jan. 26. As the second semester starts, students who are struggling with a class or have been issued a failure warning are encouraged to seek help.

NHS’s tutoring services are available all year. Students must email Mrs. Judith Owens, Mrs. Janine Cahill or the NHS tutoring chair, senior Randa Ibrahim, to be sign up for tutoring. Students who have signed up for tutoring will be given an official form early in the school day with all of the information they need. They will then be in contact with an NHS member and they will find the best possible time to tutor.

This year, NHS implemented changes to the tutoring system. They are removing NHS members from the library during all lunch periods and now focusing on tutoring requests only.

“When we would sit in the library, no students would show up to be tutored for various reasons,” said senior Sofia Cunicelli. “Many underclassmen did not have the same lunch period or they did not want to give up that time. I’m glad that we are making more of an effort to help the kids that are asking for it.”

Senior Kirstin Blake McGarvey agreed.

“It’s always been a complicated process,” said Blake McGarvey. “We are now encouraging after school tutoring even more than before, which improves engagement and communication with all parties involved.”

All NHS members are encouraged to tutor students. They are selected based upon their lunch period, after school availability and subjects they are strongest in.

“Each NHS member is asked to fill out a form at the beginning of the year where they list their availability and strongest subject,” said senior Brianna Petruccelli, the president of NHS. “We use this information to match tutoring students with an NHS member so they have the strongest candidate for their demonstrated need.”