Carroll takes second place in final Hi-Q match of the season

Archbishop Carroll placed second in its final Delco Hi-Q match of the season. The score was Penn Wood, 11; Carroll, 17; and 42, Springfield. 

Delco Hi-Q is the oldest continuously running academic quiz competition in the United States, according to the Delco Hi-Q website. The competition is sponsored by the Franklin Mint Federal Credit Union Foundation and managed by the Delaware County Intermediate Unit, an educational service agency. Twenty-one high schools in Delaware County participate.

The first round of the Feb. 21 match went very poorly for Carroll. The team only answered one question correctly, which led the school to end the first half of the competition with four points. 

My thoughts are to continue building confidence on stage,” said Hi-Q moderator Dr. Eric Tuwalski.  “Regardless if the answer is incorrect, everyone continues to maintain a positive attitude throughout the competition.” 

By the end of the second round, Carroll answered enough questions to bring its score to 17. Despite this boost, Springfield still won the competition with 42 points. 

With the Hi-Q season over, the Hi-Q team will begin to look toward next season. The boost from last to second place in this competition gave the team hope.

“We have a unique group of students who are passionate about their school pride and I see this coming together for next year!” Dr. Tuwalski said.