The Carroll Times

The Student News Site of Archbishop John Carroll High School

The Carroll Times

The Carroll Times

Senior goodbye: Kylah Herrera

LifeTouch

Dear Archbishop Carroll,

As I prepare to start a new chapter in my life, I think of all the things Carroll has given me. I want to take the time to say goodbye and thank you for all the memories and opportunities I have had within my time here. Transferring to Archbishop John Carroll was one of the greatest decisions I’ve made in my life. I have made some of the best friends that I will forever have much love for. The teachers and staff are phenomenal; they always made me feel welcome and comfortable and I knew I could trust them. Before transferring to Carroll, after class I would just leave and go to the next, but now I always say thank you to my teachers and tell them to enjoy the rest of their day. Carroll has helped me grow in many ways, one being to care for my teachers and have a lot of respect for them. 

A little something for the underclassmen: Appreciate everything in front of you. Take your classes seriously and put them as your number one priority. It’s your future! Obviously you want to goof around and have fun with your friends, but make sure you respect your teachers and elders and do what you’re told. Carroll will teach you the greatest lesson on responsibility. You may not see it now, but you will later understand. If you need help, don’t be afraid to ask. It’s completely normal to feel nervous or scared about asking teachers for help, but at Carroll the teachers and staff are there for you! To be more comfortable, it could be in private. It will also give your teacher more time to help you because they aren’t trying to teach at the same time. 

Knowing that next week will be the last few days as an Archbishop Carroll student feels so bittersweet. I won’t be saying, “Good morning, Carroll!” on Patriot News Live anymore, attending Catholic Athletes for Christ every Wednesday or ringing the bell on modified schedules. One of the things that I will miss the most is K113. Kairos is truly an eye opener and I’m so grateful for the people that went and I got close with. We move in silence. Time really flies when you are surrounded by greatness and I am truly blessed to have experienced all the fun games, events, clubs and more at Carroll. I’ve never seen so much school spirit in a community, from singing “High On The Hill Top” at Mass to throwing pie in our teacher’s face, playing ping pong in the courtyard and so forth. I’m so proud to say I was part of it. Can we please do the big red rumble one more time?

Archbishop Carroll, you will always have a special place in my heart. I am truly honored to soon be an alum.

Kylah Herrera