The Addams Family debuts Friday

The musical will be presented 7 p.m. April 22, 23, 29, and 30 and at 2 p.m. April 24 and May 1. Students attend at no charge with student ID; all other tickets cost $15 each.

Wikimedia Commons

Archbishop Carroll Theater Society will present The Addams Family musical, which played on Broadway in 2010 and 2011.

Lauren Spratt, Correspondent

Archbishop Carroll Theatre Society’s production of The Addams Family musical opens 7 p.m. Friday. Admission is free for students with a Carroll Student ID, and all other tickets are $15.

Though many are familiar with the classically creepy stories of the Addams family, this new musical-comedy adaptation presents 18 year old Wednesday falling in love with Lucas Beineke, and Gomez’s struggle to maintain the family’s balance as he keeps a secret from his beloved Morticia. With the help of the Addams family’s ancestors, Uncle Fester strives to prove to both families, the Addams and the Beinekes, that love can conquer all.

“I’m very excited to be able to work more closely with some of my peers and to play this iconic role.” said senior Ashley Palmer, who portrays Morticia Addams. “It’s such a great show to close my senior year!”

The Addams Family musical is such a treasure because it depicts well-known characters on stage for the first time, as well as introduces new characters that the audience will surely fall in love with.

“Lucas Beineke is a teenage boy who has fallen for Wednesday, but slowly begins to wonder if he, a normal boy, can commit to her family’s crazy ideals.” said junior Ryan Holmes, who plays Lucas. “It’s so fun to depict this character’s unique development onstage.” 

Director Meg McNamara underscored how fun the musical is.

“ACTS’ version of The Addams Family is sure to be creepy, spooky and altogether kooky.” said Ms. McNamara. “It’s a fun-filled take on the spooky world of the Addams family that is sure to make the audience laugh!”

The cascading staircase and hauntingly detailed set, and the iconic costumes truly embody the atmospheric passion of The Addams Family and the cast, crew, pit, and directors hope that the Carroll community will join them for “one normal night”!  

The Addams Family will be presented in the auditorium on April 22, 23, 29, and 30 at 7 p.m. and on April 24 and May 1 at 2 p.m.