Carroll’s swim team will share a coach, practices, and meets with Sacred Heart, Devon Prep

Archbishop Carroll’s swim team will now be practicing with swim teams from Sacred Heart Academy in Bryn Mawr and Devon Preparatory School. Practices will be held at Cabrini University in Radnor.

The change came because Carroll’s swim coach, Josh Patota, took over the coaching responsibilities for Sacred Heart and Devon Prep, two independent Catholic schools in the area.

“We will be practicing and doing meets together but have our own identities,” Coach Patota said.

Senior Gianna Toland said she is looking forward to this year’s swimming season, in part because of the merger.

“I’m excited to get back into it because I haven’t swam in years and got into good shape,” Toland said. “I am happy to meet new people as well.”

The idea of meeting new people also seemed to interest Liberty Grant, the co-captain of Carroll’s swim team. “I think it’s fun because we don’t have a lot of kids on our own team, but also a little sad because those swimmers on the other teams aren’t a part of Carroll,” Grant said. 

Carroll’s swim team competes in the Philadelphia Catholic League playoffs each year. Carroll’s swimmers also often record personal best swim times. Coach Patota expressed enthusiasm for continued success this year.

“This season is looking very good,” he said.