Girls track runs in Reading for first meet of season

Grace O’Grady
Samantha Kernag passes the baton to Eva Bair.

The Archbishop Carroll girls track team had their first meet Friday at Alvernia University in Reading.

Freshman Eva Bair, freshman Katherine Sincavage, freshman Samantha Kernag, freshman Alexandria O’Connor, junior Faith Siorek, senior Ceceilia Weller, senior Arianna Netzel, sophomore Grace O’Grady, senior Jocelyn Welsh, sophomore Olivia Gosseaux and  sophomore Ayla Alexander competed.

The team placed 15th out of 22 teams in the 4x800m relay, run by O’Grady, Bair, Siorek and  Gosseaux. The team’s  combined time was 11 mins and 23 seconds.

Sincavage placed 25th out of 63 runners in the 60m sprint. She finished the race in 8.83 seconds.

O’Connor ran the 200m sprint in 29.79 seconds. She placed 30th out of 64 runners. 

O’Grady placed 30th out of 62 in the 400m race with a time of  1 minute 10 seconds. 

Siorek  ran the 800m race in 2 minutes 48 seconds, coming in 33rd out of 55 runners. 

The 4x400m relay was run by Weller,  Welsh,  Kernag and Bair. The team placed 50th out of 52 with a combined time of 5:31.

The last race of the day was the 4x200m relay, run by O’Connor, Alexander, Netzel and Sincavage. The team placed 34th out of 57 with a time of 2 minutes and 3 seconds.

Siorek, the team captain, was very happy with how the team did.

“You all did amazing last night,” Siorek told the team. “I am so proud of all of you guys.”

The first race was a challenge for some.

“It was hell,” said Bair.

On the other hand, some members of the team had a good time at their first meet.

“It was a lot of fun and everyone tried their best,” Kernag said.