Las Vegas comes to Carroll to raise money

Mr. Ronald Cummings, who teaches engineering, gets ready to deal a hand at Archbishop Carroll’s C.A.F.E. fundraiser.

On April 13, Archbishop Carroll gambled the night away during the Carroll Auction for Education (CAFE).

The Las Vegas-themed event raised $24,000 for the school, according to Brianne Branco, assistant director for advancement and Carroll’s event coordinator.

Held in the West Gym, CAFE featured game tables for card games and roulette, complete with chips purchased for varying amounts for gambling. Teachers, including Mr. Eric Tamney and Mr. Ronald Cummings, and administrators, including Mr. William Gennaro and Mr. Christopher Fryberger, served as dealers. 

Big dice lit with tiny fairy lights decorated the dining tables. Red, white and black draped fabric and white twinkle lights decorated the gym ceiling. A giant Las Vegas sign was ready for selfie action. Adding to the Las Vegas vibe was an appearance by Carroll’s own Elvis impersonator, theology teacher Mr. Louis Valenti, who was decked out in a white outfit complete with cape and flare pants.

Besides table games, the fundraising event included raffles for baskets full of goodies, like scratch-off lottery tickets, and silent auction items, like a dorm decorating kit and a cooler filled with beach gear.  Attendees also enjoyed food that included meatballs, hoagies, and charcuterie, served by Aquilante’s Catering of Phoenixville.

Those who wanted to contribute but could not attend the $75 per person event could bid on items and make donations via the CAFE. web page. 

Mrs. Missy Cunicelli, the president of the school’s parents association, said the event was a success. 

“The event was really a great time, like it is every year“ said Mrs. Cunicelli. “I hope that we can make it just as good next year!”

The event was mainly organized by Ms. Branco and Mr. Fryberger, the assistant principal for student life. Many of the students saw its success. 

“A few people I know went and they all said they had an amazing time!” said senior Kirstin Blake McGarvey. “I saw it take place during the show’s tech week.” 

Senior Sofia Cunicelli agreed. 

“I helped set up with my mom and I know how hard she and the rest of the team worked on it,” said Cunicelli. “I popped in there and saw just how magnificent it was. It ran so smoothly and the decorations were beautiful.”