World Language Week gets student accolades

Mia Sottovia
Students explore the history and culture of countries around the world through projects created and presented by classmates during World Language Week.

From April 29 to May 3, Archbishop Carroll celebrated its annual World Language Week, inviting students to embark on a cultural journey spanning the globe. The event aimed to introduce students to various cultures, allowing them to share their heritage and learn about others.

Spanish teacher Mrs. Melissa Harris highlighted the significance of the event.

“World Language Week is all about introducing a variety of cultures and for students to be able to share their culture,” said Mrs. Harris. “It was a great experience for a lot of students to learn about countries they’d never heard of or try foods they’d never heard of.”

The week included daily prayers conducted in different languages. Italian, French, Spanish, Arabic, and Portuguese were among the languages featured during the morning prayers. However, the highlights of the week were Food Day on Monday and the festival held in the library on Tuesday.

Senior Jocelyn Welsh shared her thoughts on the festival.

“I think the World Language Festival is a great interactive way to educate students as well as opening their minds to other cultures,” said Welsh.

The festival featured student projects showcasing different countries, complete with traditional foods, activities, and presentations. Mrs. Harris emphasized the students’ engagement and effort. 

“I noticed that the students put all of their effort into it and had a lot of fun with it,” said Mrs. Harris. “I think that the reason why they had fun with it was because they got to choose the country and it wasn’t like a set list that they had to choose from.”

Senior Gabriella Breault added to Mrs. Harris’ thoughts. 

“From what I saw, the students genuinely looked like they had an amazing time putting it together,” said Breault. “In my years at Carroll, I’ve never seen a reaction as great as this.”