Carroll Sports Weekly Recap: April 28 to May 4

Junior goalie Mei Rader makes a save for the Girls Lacrosse team.

It was another action-packed week in Archbishop Carroll sports as the spring season came to a close.

Multiple teams are still fighting for their playoff lives in this last week of Philadelphia Catholic League play, while others have had their playoff fortunes decided one way or another.

Boys Varsity Baseball

4-2 loss to Devon Prep at home April 29
7-0 loss to Neumann-Goretti at home May 1
15-5 loss to Malvern Prep away May 4

During a week where the club looked to gain a footing and punch their ticket to the Catholic League playoffs a tough loss to Devon Prep on Monday eliminated the scrapping Patriots team.

Even after disqualification, not much changed for the Patriots as they fell in their second contest of the week to Neumann-Goretti, which dropped them to 1-9 — last in the PCL.

The Patriots looked to be one of the best clubs in the Catholic League before the season began. With new names like Gavin Wray joining the fray, along with rising young talent, Carroll baseball certainly left a lot to be desired in 2024. Even with a few games remaining, the Patriots will have a lot to make up for going into the offseason.

Carroll finished the week up with a 15-5 pummeling by Malvern Prep — the state’s number one team, according to MaxPreps.

The baseball team will head into its final week of the season looking for some pride with games against one of the PCL’s best in La Salle College High School at 4 p.m. on Monday at Carroll and the only other 1-9 team in the Catholic League, Lansdale Catholic, at 4 p.m. on Wednesday at Carroll.

Boys Varsity Lacrosse

18-0 loss to LaSalle College High School at home on April 29
9-4 win against Roman Catholic at home on May 4
11-4 loss to Father Judge at home on May 6

As the season began to wind down, the boys lacrosse team got interesting.

After Monday’s loss to LaSalle, the nation’s number 16 team, according to USA Lacrosse, the Patriots picked up a senior day win over a struggling Roman Catholic club to take home their third Catholic League win of the year and keep their playoff hopes alive.

The boys finished the week with a Thursday afternoon loss to Father Judge. This leaves the Patriots with one last chance to get into the playoffs with a win over one of the league’s best in Lansdale Catholic. The game is 4 p.m. Monday at Carroll.

The boys will wrap up their season 6:30 p,m. Wednesday against Cheltenham High School.

Girls Varsity Lacrosse

28-1 win against St. Hubert’s away on April 30
18-6 win against Lansdale Catholic away on May 2
9-7 loss to Conestoga at home on May 4

The girls lacrosse team wrapped up its PCL season with a couple of nice wins over St. Hubert’s and Lansdale Catholic as it looked to claim its 24th consecutive PCL title when the playoffs come around next week.

However, the team suffered its second loss of the season Saturday afternoon when it faced off against Conestoga. The loss will most likely affect the Lady Pats seeding come state playoffs.

The Lady Pats will have the week off as they prepare for the first round of PCL playoffs next Monday.

Girls Varsity Softball

4-3 loss to Archbishop Wood away on April 30
13-4 win against Archbishop Ryan away on May 2

The softball team continued a great stretch of play at the end of the season with a close loss to one of the league’s top clubs in Wood and a win over Ryan.

The Patriots currently sit at third place in the PCL standings, tied with Wood for the spot.

They’ll finish the campaign up with a senior night against the Academy of Notre Dame De Namur on Monday, followed up by their final PCL contest on Tuesday against a struggling Lansdale Catholic team. Finally, they’ll finish up the season with a game against Springfield DELCO on Thursday afternoon.

Boys Varsity Tennis

5-0 PCL semifinals loss to St. Joseph’s Prep away on April 29

The Pats boys tennis squad fell to the eventual PCL champions, St. Joseph’s Prep, on Monday in the league semifinals.

The team finished up a season in which they placed fifth in the Catholic League with a 3-4 record and a 4-5 overall record.