Archbishop Carroll boys bowling splits the win with Devon Prep on Jan. 3

Marco Petroccia
Stephen Thomson lets it roll against Devon Prep.

Archbishop Carroll bowling team moved to 12-12 as they split the win with Devon Prep on Jan. 3. 

Coming off a tough loss to Father Judge High School, the Pats came out of the gates hot, with seniors Jesse Ventre and James Klusarits starting the game off with five strikes in a row and three strikes in a row, respectively. All five players racked up scores over 150, and took the first game by 19 pins.

After winning the first game against Devon, the Pats did not want to let off the gas. With a motivating speech from Coach Thomas Quintois, the boys went back to the pit, ready to bowl. The second game was looking good as senior Marco Petroccia racked up four strikes in a row and Ventre racked up three. Senior Stephen Thomson’s score of 137 was buttressed by the higher score of 224 rolled by Petroccia. It came down to the wire as both teams were battling, but the Pats ended up winning the second game by six pins. 

“Although I lacked in the second game, Marco picked me up and we ended up taking that game,” Thomson said.

The Pats went into the third game up two games to zero. However, Devon still had a chance to score more pins and win the third game to split the win with the Pats. 

“Going into the third game I felt confident,” Klusarits said. “We just had to get the job done and not lose focus.”

Devon started the third game off hot, having two out of five players starting with three strikes in a row. This is when a couple of the Pats started to realize that Devon could pull this off. 

“I thought we had a secured win, and I guess we just let our foot off the gas and let them get back in the race,” senior Pat McGonigle said. 

Halfway through the match the Pats were down by 90 pins and needed to get something going. With a couple strikes here and there from Petroccia and McGonigle, Devon Prep’s lead was cut to 40. Heading into the last frame, the Pats were still down 40 pins and needed to cut it down to 30 if they wanted to take a 3-1 win. McGonigle had a spare shot that could have cut the lead to 30, and missed it by a hair. Although the missed shot, McGonigle put up a score of 173. The Pats ended up losing the third match and the total pin count. The Pats split the win with Devon, 2-2.

Next the Pats head to Wynnewood Lanes to take on Roman Catholic on Jan 4.