The Carroll Times

The Student News Site of Archbishop John Carroll High School

The Carroll Times

The Carroll Times

Carroll bowling team takes the L against Archbishop Wood 3-1

Senior Marco Petroccia has another standout game, topping his score of 255 against La Salle last week with a 266 against Wood
Marco Petroccia
The scoreboard shows Marco Petroccia’s score of 266 in Game Two against Wood.

The Archbishop Carroll bowling team fell short against Archbishop Wood, losing 3-1 on Jan. 18. at Wynnewood Lanes.

Carroll came out of the gates slower than anticipated, with only two players bowling above a 170. Senior James Klusarits had  a respectable score of 192, and senior Jesse Ventre added on a 172. These two scores kept the Pats in the game, while some of the other players were lacking. After a motivating pep-talk by Coach Thomas Quintois, and a mid-match cheese fries break, the boys went back to the pit, ready to get something going. 

That is exactly what senior Marco Petroccia did in Game Two. Following a monster score of 255 last week against La Salle, Petroccia racked up a personal best of 266 with nine strikes. Not only did Petroccia have himself a game, but Ventre added a great score of 203 to further the lead. Just like that the Pats were back in the race and going into the third game leading by 30 pins. 

“Marco’s score really had us going,” Klusarits said. “After seeing that monster score, it gave the whole team confidence that we could win this.”

Going into the third game the Pats were in a position to win, leading by 30 pins. However, Wood wasn’t losing without a battle. The third game went back and forth, and the Pats found themselves down 25 pins in the tenth frame with senior Patrick McGonigle up to bowl. McGonigle threw a gutter ball, and Woods’ lead of 25 pins grew to 43. The realization was kicking in for the Pats, and Wood took the third game. 

“It was disappointing to say the least,” Ventre said. “Even with a score of 266 on our side, we couldn’t get the job done. We have to be better as a team.”

Following the disappointing loss against La Salle last week, the boys were eager to get the win and improve their record. 

“We definitely need to win today,” senior Stephen Thomson said before the matchup. “This win would put us right back where we want to be.”

The Pats now fall to 17-19 on the season, and face the undefeated Conwell-Egan Catholic High School at Bristol Lanes on Jan. 22.