Ryan sweeps Carroll’s boys bowling team

Marco Petroccia
The scoreboard shows senior James Klusarits bowled a respectable 224 in Game Two against Ryan but it wasn’t enough to secure a team win.

The Archbishop Carroll boys bowling team fell to Archbishop Ryan, 4-0, on Jan. 25 at Thunderbird Lanes.

The Pats were missing senior Patrick McGonigle the day of the game, and junior Ryan Cook stepped up to fill his spot. Coming off a sweep on senior night, the boys were filled with confidence and ready to take on a great team. However, Ryan wasn’t backing down without a
fight.

The Pats struggled early on in Game One, with only one player scoring above 170. Cook, however, racked up three strikes in a row and finished with a score of 140. With two players on Ryan scoring more than 180, Ryan was up by 71 pins going into the second game. Going into the second game, the boys needed to get something going if they wanted to beat such a great team. Cook ordered the boys a pizza as his rookie dinner, and the boys went to the pit to bowl. It looked like the pizza only helped one player, as senior James Klusarits racked up
a score of 224. Archbishop Ryan however, had four out of five of their players scoring over a 180. Ryan took the second game by over 100 pins, and went into the third game up 174 pins.

“This was definitely not the start we were looking for,” senior Stephen Thomson said. “Hopefully, we can take this last game.”

Not much changed in the third game for the Pats. The boys couldn’t find their spot, and struggled the whole way through. Archbishop Ryan, however, had two players bowl over a 220, and racked up a game of 890 pins. The Pats’ A-game just wasn’t there today, and Ryan took the
third game by over 100 pins.

“It was disappointing,” senior Jesse Ventre said. “We really couldn’t find our spot all day, and it was frustrating.”

“All we can do now is look forward to next week,” Klusarits said. “We really gotta get something going next week if we want to make the playoffs.”

The Pats now drop to 21-31 on the season and have two games next week to get their record up.