Senior track runner Gabe Cuffey ranks No. 1 in PA and No. 16 in the U.S for 800m.

Senior Gabe Cuffey takes the lead in the 800-meter race at the Ocean Breeze Invitational, securing his win.

At the Ocean Breeze Invitational, Senior Gabe Cuffey’s 1:54.70 victory in the 800-meter race not only earned him the top spot in Pennsylvania and a national ranking of Number 16 for that event but also shattered Archbishop Carroll’s 800m record. Following this success, his performance at the Philadelphia Catholic League Championships, where  clockehed 1:55.99 and secured another first-place finish, Cuffey further solidified his dominance in the 800m.

Imagine being just a little kid, around six or seven years old, and feeling the thrill of running. Back then, Cuffey was torn between basketball and track, but as he grew up, track won his heart. When exploring his love for running, it often revolved around the inspiration he received from someone who was his influence to begin the sport.

“I wanted to start running track because I was watching the Olympics in 2008 and I saw Usain Bolt,” said Cuffey. “I was inspired and wanted to start because of him.” 

Though he hasn’t picked a college yet, he knows he’ll keep running wherever he goes.

“I feel better knowing that running is a part of my routine,” said Cuffey.

Cuffey explained his gratitude for the people who have helped to guide him during his years in track.

“God, my mom, dad, family, friends, and coaches have impacted my life the most,” said Cuffey.

View Comments (1)