Varsity baseball falls to The Haverford School

Brothers Liam Wray, a sophomore, and Gavin Wray, a senior, pitched during Carroll’s loss to The Haverford School on Tuesday.

The Pats just couldn’t get it done on Tuesday against The Haverford School. They lost 12-2.

Senior Gavin Wray was on the bump for the Pats, and the first inning started off rough. The Haverford School racked up multiple hits in the first inning and quickly jumped to a 7-0 lead. 

The Pats didn’t get anything going offensively in the top of the first inning as The Haverford School’s pitcher went one, two, three. 

“The first inning was definitely not ideal for us,” senior Stephen Thomson said. 

In the top of the second inning sophomore Liam Wray went in to pitch and let up one run. Down 8-0 in the bottom of the second inning, the Pats had to get the bats going if they wanted to come back.

That is exactly what they did. Senior Dylan Gallagher roped a line drive into center field for a single. That hit was followed up by sophomore Nick Gilroy and junior Matthew McGaughey hitting singles into the outfield. Just like that, the Pats scored two runs. 

“The bottom of the second inning showed us that we can stay in this game,” junior Mark Fohner said. “We just have to focus on what we can control.”

In the top of the third inning, Liam Wray continued to deal strikes. The Haverford School racked up a couple hits and ended up scoring a run. The Pats’ pitcher found himself in a tough position with bases loaded, and struck out The Haverford School batter looking. The score was 9-2 going into the bottom of the third. 

Nothing offensively happened in the bottom of the third as The Haverford school pitcher struck out the top of the lineup. 

Going into the top of the fourth, senior Anthony Auteri pitched for the Pats. The Haverford School hit Auteri around a little bit, and scored a run early in the inning. With a player on second, The Haverford School’s best hitter was up. He hit a two-run home run to left field. The Haverford School was up 12-2. 

Going into the bottom of the fourth, the Pats had to score a run to keep this game going. However, The Haverford School’s pitcher was on his A-game and he struck out three players in a row. The Haverford school took the W, 12-2. 

“New day tomorrow,” Coach Jonathan Grosse said. “Head down and back to work.”

The Pats play Haverford High School on Thursday  at home.