The Carroll Times

The Student News Site of Archbishop John Carroll High School

The Carroll Times

The Carroll Times

Varsity baseball falls to Haverford High School

Errors cost Archbishop Carroll’s varsity baseball team the game Thursday in a 14-3 loss to Haverford High School.

The trouble started in the first inning. Haverford got a couple hits and the Pats added some errors on top of that. The Pats exited the top of the first down, 4-0, but answered by scoring two runs off of the pitcher’s walks. Carroll went into the top of the second only down by two.

At the top of the second inning, the Patriots made plays in the field to help out pitcher Matthew McGaughey, a junior, and went into the bottom of the second still down only two runs. In the bottom of the second, the Pats could not get anything going offensively, and left a man stranded on first.

The top of the third inning was where things started to go downhill for the Pats. In this inning alone, the Pats recorded five errors. Three runs scored because of multiple infield errors and one outfield error. When the inning finally ended, Haverford was ahead, 11-2. Coach Jonathan Grosse took out four of the nine starters who had made errors.

During the next three innings, neither side scored. Carroll relief pitcher Michael Edwards, a senior, racked up six strike-outs while Haverford High School’s pitcher was still dealing.

In the top of the seventh, junior Jason DiRita was put in to pitch and gave up three runs. In the bottom of the seventh the Pats added one more run, but not nearly enough for a comeback. The final score for the game was 14-3.

“Not what we were looking for in our home opener,” senior Stephen Thomson said.

“We have to cut down on the errors,” junior Mark Fohner said. “We have to play better as a team.”

“The only positive outcome of this is that it is not a Philadelphia Catholic League game,” DiRita said. “We need a win on Wednesday against O’Hara.”

With the loss, the Pats fell to 0-2, and 0-0 in league play. Before the team faces O’Hara, it will play Sun Valley High School on Tuesday, Mar. 26.