Carroll track star Gabe Cuffey looks toward running for the gold in the 2028 Olympic Games

@mond.psd on Instagram
Gabe Cuffey, a Carroll track athlete who wants to compete in the 2028 Olympic Games, gets ready for a race.

Gabe Cuffey, a senior at Archbishop Carroll, is aiming for the top of track and field: the Olympics. He’s focusing on the 400 and 800-meter races with hopes of making it to the 2028 Games.

“I’ve been training since I was about 8 years old,” said Cuffey. “Usain Bolt inspired me to start running and aim for the Olympics.”

Cuffey’s commitment is clear in the time he’s dedicated to improving his skills.

“I’ve given up a lot of free time to work harder and get better,” said Cuffey. “Training involves lots of different speed drills, workouts to build stamina, and telling myself I can do it, even when it’s tough.”

His Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) coach and his father have been crucial in shaping his mindset and work ethic.

“My coach and dad have inspired me to train hard and keep a positive attitude,” said Cuffey.

Staying injury-free and in good shape is important for Cuffey, who stressed the importance of simple routines at home and eating right.

“I avoid injuries and stay fit by doing small exercises at home and eating healthy,” he said.

Handling the pressure of competition means staying focused and ignoring distractions, something Cuffey has learned through experience.

“I try not to stress too much about the race and block out any negative talk,” he shared.

With dreams of Olympic success driving him, Cuffey remains determined.

“I hope to win gold medals, but just competing in the Olympics would be an amazing achievement,” Cuffey said.