Senior goodbye: Samantha Hewitt

LifeTouch

Dear Archbishop John Carroll, 

Thank you for the people I’ve met, the opportunities I’ve been given, and the memories I will have for the rest of my life. When I transferred here halfway through my junior year, I came in knowing some girls from lacrosse. Other than that, I was in a new place with new people and I did not know what to expect. The field hockey and lacrosse teams welcomed me with open arms and I got the chance to meet some amazing people. I learned that good things do take time and that I was meant to end up at Carroll playing with these girls. 

The girl’s lacrosse team at Carroll is one of the most competitive in the country. Coming here, I knew that I had to meet the expectations the coaches and players had here. Some girls I knew from my club team. Others I knew from me going to practices and games because my dad is an assistant coach here. The team made transferring so much easier and I was able to make some of my best friends. My senior year was my first year being on the field hockey team at Carroll. Some of the girls from lacrosse were on the team, but some girls I was meeting for the first time. It did not feel that way. They made me feel like I belonged and that I had been a part of the team for all four years. 

Being on two sports teams here, I was able to become close with both upper and lower classman on both teams. The teams here treat each other like friends, not teammates. Us singing on the bus, hanging out at team dinners, and being in the trainers before we played are memories I won’t forget. Thank you for all the support you guys have given me, on and off the field. Thank you for pushing me to my full potential and for bringing out a side of me I didn’t even know existed. Thank you for making my senior year so special. Thank you for making me become the person, friend, and athlete I am today. 

Sincerely, 

Samantha Hewitt