Carroll’s girls JV soccer suffers 8-1 loss to Ryan

Dominique Charette

Rebecca Wallgren takes a shot for Carroll.

Lucia Kamanousa, Staff writer

Archbishop Carroll’s JV girls’ soccer team took a loss Monday against Archbishop Ryan.

Ryan scored its first goal in the first minute of the game. After that, the goals kept coming, with a total of four goals being scored within the first five minutes of the game. Shortly after the fourth goal, junior Lucia Kamanousa had to leave the field injured when a Ryan player struck her leg.

“She was on the verge of tears… I’ve never seen her like that,” said freshman Lily Tyrell.

Ryan’s wrath would not end with Kamanousa. Sophomore Arianna Netzel, already suffering from a recurring leg injury, would sustain a kick to her calf shortly after.

“She’s a fighter but no one likes a kick to the leg,” said sophomore Allison Armstrong.

At the end of the first half, the scoreboard read 7-0 Ryan.

Throughout the second half, conflict arose between Carroll’s and Ryan’s players. While players were fighting for the ball, curses and insults were thrown around. 

“Sportsmanship was completely thrown out the door during that 36-minute window,” said junior Caroline Pascual. “While I’m upset with how they spoke to us, I’m also ashamed of how we acted overall. I never want us to act out in that way again.” 

With the second half coming to a close, the scoreboard read 8-0 in Ryan’s favor. However, with a swift kick freshman Amelia St. Hilarie scored a high ball in the final three minutes of the game, bringing Carroll their first goal of the game.

“We had a lot of shots on net throughout the entire game so it was so satisfying to see the ball finally go into the goal,” said junior Rebecca Wallgren.

With the final score reading 8-1, Carroll was left defeated for their ninth game of the season. 

“Although the score doesn’t show it, it was a pretty eventful game,” said junior Bridget Robinson. “They were both pretty evenly matched, so it was probably an iffy day. Also, even though they were losing, the whole team was so cheerful and enthusiastic from the start of the game until the final whistle blew. Hopefully, they bring it home next game.”