The Carroll Times

The Student News Site of Archbishop John Carroll High School

The Carroll Times

The Carroll Times

Mrs. Melissa Harris joins the world language faculty

New Spanish teacher Mrs. Melissa Harris has joined the Archbishop Carroll world language faculty, bringing with her several years of teaching experience and a desire to reach learners in various ways, including musically.

Mrs. Harris is a heritage speaker who grew up speaking Spanish in her home. Before she arrived at Carroll, she taught for six years at the elementary and middle school levels. She has worked in Catholic schools before.

Now at the high school level, Mrs. Harris teaches both Spanish I and Spanish II. She loves to incorporate music into her classes, especially the melodies she cherished during her upbringing. 

In one of her lessons, “Musica Miercoles,” Mrs. Harris plays music videos from different genres and decades so students can get more exposure to the language.

“I love to incorporate music into my class so that my students can become more familiar with the language, different cultures and genres,” said Mrs. Harris.

Mrs. Harris said that her ultimate goal is to instill in her students a  knowledge of the diverse Spanish-speaking world. Whether it’s introducing them to a famous dish from Puerto Rico, a unique dance style from Ecuador, or the cultural intricacies of other Spanish-speaking countries, she said she wants to broaden students’ horizons. While Mrs. Harris understands that students may not achieve fluency during their time at Carroll, she believes that the knowledge and appreciation they gain will serve them well, should they ever visit a Spanish-speaking country.

Mrs. Harris’ students said they have benefited from her teaching. 

“Señora Harris’s class is very fun and she is very good at getting students to engage,” said sophomore John Barber. 

“Mrs. Harris is very lively and makes her class very engaging,” said sophomore Patrick Grow, “She’s one of the best teachers I’ve had so far in my high school experience.”