CSC gives Thanksgiving meals to 185 families with the help of more than $3,000 from Carroll students

Archbishop Carroll’s Community Service Corps members stand proudly behind the Thanksgiving Day meals they put together with the help of donations from students and Carroll families.

Because the Archbishop Carroll community donated food as well as more than $3,000, the Community Service Corps delivered turkeys and all the fixings for Thanksgiving Day dinners to 185 needy families in 10 parishes in the Philadelphia region.

About three dozen Carroll families donated the ingredients for Thanksgiving meals. The CSC used the donated money to buy additional turkeys, stuffing mixes, canned vegetables, and other T-day staples to create the remaining 150 or so meal packages. The day before Thanksgiving break, CSC put the meal bags together and delivered them to the parishes. 

“I love helping out,” said senior Brianna Petruccelli. “Even something as small as picking up donations from the store can go a long way, which is why I was so eager to help in any way I could.” 

Carroll students helped by donating money in their English classes for the food drive. Friendly competition helped boost donation totals.

“The scores were always displayed on the board in my English class,” said senior Kirstin Blake McGarvey. “When someone would donate $20, people would go crazy. It brought a sense of community to the classroom and it was for a good cause.” 

Mrs. Julia Young, who is the faculty moderator for CSC and also is the English department chairperson, and Mrs. Terri Crossan of the campus ministry office organized the event. 

“It is always inspiring to see the Carroll community unite for this endeavor each year,” said Mrs. Julia Young. “The CSC members did an excellent job in fundraising, shopping, packing, and delivering items.”