The Carroll Times

The Student News Site of Archbishop John Carroll High School

The Carroll Times

The Carroll Times

IDs must be worn on lanyards around necks beginning Tuesday, Jan. 9

To enhance safety for students and staff, Archbishop Carroll has brought back a policy that requires students and staff to wear their school-issued identification cards on lanyards around their necks. This is to allow quick identification of people on the school grounds, especially during emergencies, and to allow the administration, faculty, and staff to more effectively handle student behavioral problems. The policy goes into effect on Tuesday, Jan. 9.

Administration said the requirement is important so members of the Carroll community can distinguish between students, employees and unauthorized individuals on campus, particularly during school events where non-affiliated individuals may be present.

The ID cards have always been a part of the uniform policy at Archbishop Carroll; however, enforcement has not been consistent until now because of production problems involving both the IDs and the lanyards from which the IDs must hang around students’ and employees’ necks. 

Assistant Principal for Student Life Mr. Christopher Fryberger said he hoped that by making it mandatory for both students and employees to wear their IDs visibly, the school would create a more secure and controlled environment. 

“The ID cards have always been there; we are just ensuring that everyone is on the same page in terms of their importance,” said Mr. Fryberger.

Administrators discussed with students the implementation of new policies during homeroom meetings with each class after everyone returned to school following Christmas break.

Immediate pushback from students has been noted, with concerns voiced about the aesthetics and perceived lack of ‘coolness’ associated with wearing IDs. However, administrators stress the bigger picture, underlining the crucial role these IDs play in ensuring the safety of everyone on campus.

“It’s not about being cool; it’s about being safe,” Mr. Fryberger said. “We need to prioritize the well-being of our students and staff over fashion preferences.” 

Senior Troy Clark explained that the aesthetics of the ID is not the only concern among the students. 

“I just think it’s impractical to wear IDs around our necks, especially when they do not even serve the purpose of getting us into school half the time,” said Clark. “It would be more reasonable if they had us keep them in our bags and just asked us to take them out whenever necessary.”

Senior Jocelyn Welsh said she, too, found the new ID policy to be unnecessary. 

“While I acknowledge safety considerations, I find it to be an overall inconvenience,” said Welsh. “Particularly in the winter, with the added layers of the uniform, incorporating a lanyard hanging from the neck is just going to contribute to a sense of overwhelm.”

As the news of the strict enforcement circulates among parents, the overall sentiment remains to be seen. While initial reactions from students suggest resistance, it is believed that parents will understand the necessity of such measures for the safety of their children.

Additionally, administration highlighted the broader implications of this policy, asserting that it mirrors the professional expectations students will encounter when they join the workforce.

“In the real world, identification is a part of daily life,” said Mr. Fryberger. “Whether you are in a corporate office or any other workplace, having visible identification is a common practice.”