The Carroll Times

The Student News Site of Archbishop John Carroll High School

The Carroll Times

The Carroll Times

Wanted: Students to design costumes for The Little Mermaid

Previous experience is not required

Archbishop Carroll Theatre Society is calling for students to submit their costume ideas for the spring musical, “The Little Mermaid.” 

The costume department, run by Mrs. Sarah Fickling, will be choosing up to three costumes to bring to life for the show. All students are welcome to submit designs. 

All of the characters, except for mermaids, are available to design. Designs include a drawing of the costume and a description of what the drawing displays. All submissions are due Jan. 17. 

“Don’t worry if you have never designed before,” said Mrs. Fickling. “The sky’s the limit and I will help you develop the idea after choosing!” 

The commitment for designing a costume is to attend at least five meetings. The process would involve pulling fabrics and old clothing pieces from storage and working with Mrs. Flicking to alter them. Attendance for the costume parade is also required. 

“I have so many ideas that I want to bring to life,” said senior Gabriella Amplo. “Hopefully I can design and create a costume for a character like Flounder.” 

Students also have the option to apply for positions on the production staff, which include positions such as a member of the social media team, assistant choreographer, assistant director, assistant sound designer, hair and makeup designer, props designer and more. Applications are also due Jan 17. 

The link to apply for either opportunity is https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdxW4DmkxQDZv0flOmBVX2ZTSIrkK4uHR0Aars4rgFIfTBsSg/viewform.

Students are permitted to have several roles and still be in the cast, crew or pit. 

“It’s a great way to get involved with ACTS without being in the shows if you don’t want to be,” said senior Sofia Cunicelli, a member of the social media team and cast. “I love having the opportunity to be involved in many different ways within the ACTS community.”