Carroll juggles cancellations and rescheduling caused by weather

In a week marked by relentless winter storms and unexpected power outages, Archbishop Carroll faced an unprecedented challenge as it was compelled to cancel or reschedule sporting events and activities. 

The inclement weather, coupled with the power outage, cast a shadow over the school’s winter sports program, leaving Director of Athletics Mr. Thomas Quintois frustrated.

“The reality is all winter sports have been greatly impacted by the weather and the power outage,” said Mr. Quintois. “Quite frankly, this is an Athletic Directors nightmare!!! I have been involved in high school athletics for over 30 years and have never seen this before.”

Mr. Quintois said boys and girls basketball, swimming, bocce, bowling, wrestling, winter track, and cheer faced impacts because of the power outages and snow.  Several factors affect rescheduling games: facility availability, transportation, opponent availability, and overtaxing (physically, mentally and academically) student athletes with multiple games or back-to-back games.

Director of Communications Mrs. Michelle Wall said the ribbon cutting ceremony that aimed to honor donors who funded the East Gym floor had to be rescheduled for Jan. 30. Other events connected with the East Gym had to be rescheduled, too. 

“There are two 2023 state championship banners that are also being unveiled: girls lacrosse on Jan. 30 and girls basketball on Feb. 7,” said Mrs. Wall.

Principal Mr. William Gennaro explained the decision-making process behind the cancellations. 

“Even though we are fortunate to be able to have flexible instruction days that do not force us to make up missed days due to weather or power outages, these situations still provide challenging travel or safety conditions for people,” said Mr. Gennaro.

Rescheduling, rather than cancellation, is preferred in these situations.

“When we can, we do try and reschedule any missed events if it’s at all possible,” said Mr. Gennaro. “Something like the March for Life, however, we cannot reschedule that, but we can do something different in the school community.”

Rescheduling sometimes creates another problem. 

“The biggest impact these cancellations can have on our community is rescheduled events can now fall on different days where other things are already scheduled, which can make it challenging for people to attend,” said Mr. Gennaro.