Catholic Schools Week arrives with activities for both faith and fun

NCEA
The theme for National Catholic Schools Week is United in Faith and Community.

Archbishop Carroll’s student council has rolled out an exciting lineup of activities for National Catholic Schools Week that aims to unite the school community in faith, celebration, and service.

The activities include Mass, dress down days, a donation drive for a pet rescue and adoption center, and a fun-filled Friday assembly.

Each day during Catholic Schools Week will feature a unique dress-down theme, with the exception of Tuesday, when students must wear their uniforms because they will be attending Mass, according to Beth Wineburg, senior and president of student council. On Monday,  students are asked wear apparel from their Catholic grade schools. Wacky Wednesday is the dress down theme for the middle of the week, while Red Out is Thursday’s theme and USA is Friday’s theme. Students who do not want to dress according to the theme can wear clothing with Carroll’s name or logo or they can wear their school uniforms.

The week will culminate in an assembly on Friday where the community will come together for fun and friendly competition, like a student karaoke and a student vs. teacher trivia game. In addition, students will be able to watch either Mr. Eric Tamney, who is the director of campus ministry and a theology teacher, or Mr. Christopher Fryberger, who is the assistant principal for student life, shave off his beard. The decision regarding who bears his chin will be made by students, who will vote by donating money during lunch periods.

“Anyone can sign up [for karaoke and the trivia game] during lunch and also donate towards our beard off between Mr. Tamney and Mr. Fryberger,” said Barrera-Cruz.

Another way students can get involved in the week’s activities is to bring in items dogs and cats can use, like squeaky toys, treats, puppy pads, and dog and cat beds, to the library. The items will go to the non-profit Providence Animal Center, which rescues animals and places pets for adoption. Also, students can stop in to the chapel.

Catholic Schools Week aligns with Carroll’s mission and values, according to Sarah Barrera-Cruz, the vice-president of student council.

“Overall our school’s mission is rooted in faith, and it is the reason why we all come to a Catholic school,” said Barrera-Cruz. “It is the reason we are a community and have the opportunity to have fun with each other and highlight our school values of faith, community, and
academic excellence.”

Mrs. Christina Mulligan, a Spanish teacher and moderator for student council, said Catholic Schools Week should be lived year round.

“I hope that on a daily basis we live in the image of Christ and show our compassion, love and kindness, not just during this week,” said Mrs. Mulligan.