Donors who paid for gym floor honored in ribbon cutting

Dr. Tricia Scott, Carroll’s president, and Mr. William Gennaro, principal, cut the ribbon for the renovated gym with the help of the girls basketball team.

In a gesture of gratitude and celebration, Archbishop Carroll hosted a ribbon cutting ceremony on Jan. 30 to honor the generous donors whose contributions made the completion of the new gym floor possible.

“We invited all of the parent donors who sponsored the floor to come in and cut the ribbon because it was through their generosity that this transformation took place,” said Mrs. Michelle Wall, director of communications. 

The ceremony’s guests included members of the girls’ basketball team, donors, board members, representatives from the Office of Catholic Education, and administrative staff from Carroll.

Adding a touch of spiritual reverence, Father Joe McCaffrey blessed the newly renovated court. Following the ceremony, attendees gathered for a reception in the office of Dr. Tricia Scott, president of Carroll.

Dr. Scott explained the importance of acknowledging the donors’ unwavering support.

“We have to thank our donors,” Dr. Scott said. “They have to know that they’re making a difference. They have to know that it matters to us what they’re doing.” 

In addition to the ribbon cutting, the ceremony served as a platform to unveil the girls’ lacrosse banner, a testament to the team’s achievements. Coach Lorraine Beers was also honored for her remarkable 25-year tenure, during which the girls’ lacrosse team achieved unparalleled success, clinching an astounding 23 consecutive PCL championships.

Senior Jayanna Ramsey-Williams spoke about her gratitude for Coach Beers. 

“She is just always there for everyone on the team,” said Ramsey-Williams. “She helps us to strive to be our very best and I couldn’t be more thankful.”

Mrs. Wall explained the significance of Carroll’s lacrosse team.

“No one has won in the Catholic League for girls’ lacrosse in 23 years except Carroll,” said Mrs. Wall. “So it’s a pretty big deal.

Dr. Scott expressed her pride in the school’s accomplishments.

“To watch something go from start to finish and be executed to the end, and to see the girls and boys playing on the new court, I think that made our donors understand how powerful and transformative their donations can be,” said Dr. Scott.