NHS aims to boost student seat belt compliance

Carroll’s NHS chapter is working with the non-profit Delaware County Transportation Management Association to increase seat belt use among students.

Archbishop Carroll’s National Honor Society chapter is working with the Delaware County Transportation Management Association to help increase the percentage of student drivers wearing their seat belts.

A DCTMA representative was on campus at the beginning of the school year to collect data on how many student drivers were wearing their seatbelts. The results showed that 34 out of 124 students were not wearing their seatbelts. Carroll’s seatbelt percentage is 80% and the goal of this competition is to raise it to above 95%. The organization will be back in the spring to determine the percentage of student drivers wearing seat belts.

DCTMA is a local, non-profit organization that raises awareness for driver’s safety and works to improve the transportation network in Delaware County. The organization sponsors a project called the Community Traffic Safety Project, whose goal is to prevent deaths on the road and educate mature and young drivers. 

Each year, DCTMA hosts a competition with Delaware County high schools to raise the percentage of student drivers wearing their seatbelts. The school with the highest percentage increase will be awarded a $500 prize.   

Archbishop Carroll is one of about a dozen participating public and private schools. The last time Carroll won was in 2015. 

“We have a lot of new members in NHS this year,” said senior Sofia Cunicelli. “Hopefully, we have enough momentum to see a big chance and possibly win for the first time in almost 10 years.” 

DCTMA is asking for Carroll students to help spread awareness. Throughout the rest of the school year, NHS will be implementing ways to promote seatbelt safety.  

“During the meeting, we came up with a lot of ideas,” said senior Angelina Alberici. “I think we have a chance at winning this year.”

So far, seat belt safety awareness signs have been placed around the school.

“This is an amazing organization and I am so glad we were able to connect,” said the president of NHS, senior Brianna Petruccelli. “I hope that we can implement all of the ideas we had at the meeting and raise awareness for such an important cause. Even one poster can make a difference.”