Senior goodbye: Rachel Durham

LifeTouch

Dear Archbishop Carroll, 

It is so sad knowing that high school will be just a memory in about two weeks. They didn’t lie when they said, “High school will fly by.” I reflect on my four high school years as I prepare to graduate. From my first to my senior year, I have grown from an insecure freshman to a confident young woman ready for what lies ahead.  I went through many trials and tribulations to get where I am today. But there were a lot of victories along my path. 

One of my most significant victories was the ACTS program. I went into ACTS as a freshman, having no idea how well I would do. One of my friends told me, “Don’t expect to get a good role your freshman year.” We were doing ‘Little Shop of Horrors,’ a show I was unfamiliar with. My mindset for this audition was to do my best so that Meg (the director) would see me as a strong asset when I become an upperclassman. After my audition, the callback list came out. I wasn’t expecting to get anything, but to my surprise, I got called back for an Urchin and Audrey. I was excited to show off what I could do. At the callbacks, it was just me and a bunch of upperclassmen. Although intimidated, I was prepared to show everyone what I could do. After the callback, I got a notification on my phone, “The Cast List.” I was feeling nervous but also confident. I opened the email to see my name under Crystal (the head urchin). Not only was I shocked, but I was so excited for the opportunity. And that was just the beginning. I went on to play Leading Player in ‘Pippin,’ Dorothy in ‘The Wizard of Oz,’ Urleen in ‘Footloose,’ The Centipede in ‘James and the Giant Peach,’ and finally, Ariel in ‘The Little Mermaid.’ All four years with ACTS made me realize I want to continue performing. Now, I will be studying Musical Theater at one of the Musical Theater schools in the county. 

I love to look back on all my milestones from these past four years. I have many victories and many downfalls. I wouldn’t be telling the truth if I didn’t say the journey was difficult. A big thing that I have struggled with is my religious identity. I grew up in a very religious household. Both of my parents are non-denominational Christians who attend church regularly. I also attend church regularly and have a very good relationship with God. But all of that got tested once I started high school. There was so much temptation all around me, and I struggled to reject it. I started distancing myself from God and started focusing on worldly things. I knew I was lost and needed a push in the right direction. It was when I went on Kairos and had Mrs. Owens. She spoke about the struggles she went through in her life, and it spoke to me. I had never watched someone be so resilient through such tough times. It was the push in the right direction I needed. 

As I look back on the last four years, I do not regret anything that happened. Everything in life is either a lesson or a blessing. Although I have had many blessings, I have also learned so many lessons, which I am eternally grateful for. I will miss Carroll. So much of my growth has come from Carroll. I want to thank the school for being my pillow to land on when I fall. I have been through so much, but I came out as a stronger person because of it. 

Sincerely, 

Rachel Durham